Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Caleb's Prayer

Our time has been very full lately.  Filled with good things?  Absolutely. But, full nonetheless.  Jason commented tonight that it seems like the only times he and I get to visit at all are Friday nights, and even then we are often "doing something" together. 

So, tonight I roared into the driveway, honked the horn to the tune of "shave-and-a-haircut-two-bits", Jason came up from the yard and took the kids out of the car...and I took off again.  When I returned home, Jason and the kids were just finishing dinner, so Jason started their baths and I cleaned up the kitchen.  After nursing Anna Ruth I prepared to go to the gym, Jason put Anna Ruth down for the night and prepared to have some time with the boys watching a movie.  It struck me as I was about to rush off that we hadn't done any sort of night time routine with her at all.....just laid her in her crib and said goodnight.  With Caleb, every night was an elaborate routine....and with the boys, it still is. Perhaps it will start later with her as she fits into the nightly Ordway routine.  However, I felt a moment of panic when Jason said he hadn't prayed with her.  Hearing Caleb upstairs, I called up...."Caleb? Will you pray with your sister?"  "Me?" he asked.  "Yes, Caleb.  She needs someone to pray with her."  "Sure" he returned and went into her room.  Sensing this might be a moment to remember, I snuck up the stairs with my camera to record their time together.  Here was Caleb's prayer:

"Dear God,

Thank you for Sissy. 
Thank you for her wonderful big brothers, me and Emet.
Thank you for our wonderful world that you made.
Thank you for everything you have done for us.
Thank you for everything that we have done for you.
Thank you for the flowers. 
Thank you that you made my mom and my dad and my brother and my sister.

In Jesus name,

Amen

Needless to say, my heart was full.  Above all, Caleb is thankful.  It is the first thing that pours from his heart when alone with God.  I am so very glad I took time out of my "busy schedule" to see God's hand in the life of my little children.  I could have missed that moment.  I was already running behind.  Behind what?  I'm not sure...perhaps just the clock.  As I type this it is after midnight, and I just finished folding the laundry and need to take a shower.  I don't really have time for this blog either, but here I sit....gently being reminded yet again of the rapid passage of time, of the fleeting moments I will have with my precious babies at each stage they pass through under my wings and in my care.  Thank you, God, for Caleb's prayer, a little reminder of my purpose right now...........and of all the many things I have to be thankful for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment