I really can't think of a better way to ring in the new year. We spent a relaxing day at home. Mom and I cleaned out the file drawer and my huge pile of paperwork I've been putting off for months. What a relief to start the year with new planner pages in, and my office files ready for the inevitable and endless stream of papers ahead. The boys and Grandpa B went out in the *gear shift noise* truck (our '79 Dodge) to get a load of gravel and spent their time between unloading gravel in the driveway and over the creek at the bonfire. After dinner, Jason and I went out for a "planning date" at Starbucks where we laid out our thoughts, plans, and hopes for 2011 on paper. Then we went back to the car and gave it all over to God. Ah, how God speaks to us regarding plans in his Word!
- Proverbs 15:22: "Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisors they succeed."
- Proverbs 16:13: "Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed"
- Proverbs 19:21:"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails."....
- Isaiah 32:8: "But the noble man makes noble plans, and by noble deeds he stands."
- Psalm 33:11:"But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations"
And may we not follow in the steps of whom the prophet Jeremiah spoke!
- "But they will reply, 'It's no use. We will continue with our own plans; each of us will follow the stubbornness of his evil heart.' " Jeremiah 18:12
When Jason and I returned home, tasty snacks were laid out and the boys were excitedly waiting for our Christmas gift exchange with Grandma and Grandpa B. DVDs, Candyland, and new 'snuggle friends' excited the boys while Anna Ruth was in love with her new dolly and furry lamb. Her eyes just lit up when she would look at their sweet little faces. What a joy to see how our little girl responds to such things!
Games were played, stories were read, and I spent a few blissful moments out by the bonfire alone with Jason in the crisp cold air, looking at the stars against a black velvet sky......the yellow lights from our cozy home across the creek glowing in the distance.
We crossed from 2010 to 2011 on our knees before the LORD......maker of heaven and earth, and the one from whom all blessings flow. We don't know what lies ahead in this new year......in the balance, some years are better than others. Yet, this we do know: "'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
And so, in this truth and trusting in Him....I shall close my New Years thoughts. Happy New Year to all!