Thursday, April 8, 2010

I'll take all the snuggles I can get

All three of my babies are sleeping. As it was nearing 5:30pm, I snuck upstairs to begin the waking process, so the nighttime routine would not drag on tonight. As I saw Caleb laying on the guest bed, curled into a ball sleeping, I realized what a rarity this is nowadays. Normally, he spends a while reading or chattering to himself in mama imposed "nap time", but rarely does he sleep.

Not wanting to miss a chance, I climbed up behind him and snuggled in close to my eldest son, now 4 years old. I ran my hands through his hair and traced the features of his face, holding him tightly. It struck me that someday in the not so distant future, I won't be able to do that at all. Soon, even, he'll be of that school age when a mama's hug isn't the best thing in the world anymore. My arms and my lap won't be the spot argued amongst siblings.

And so.....as 5:30 became 6pm, I snuggled next to Caleb....holding on to whatever snuggles I could get. As I got up, I asked Caleb if he needed a bit more time to wake up. He sleepily nodded yes. "I love you, KB", I told him. "I love you too", he said....and rolled onto his side to sleep some more.

How precious and fleeting are my moments with these babies. How I love them.....

No comments:

Post a Comment