Friday, September 30, 2011

thankful to be rich

A friend posted a thought today...."What if we woke up tomorrow morning and only had the things we remembered to thank God for today?"

In the wee hours of this morning, I lay awake in bed, waiting for sleep but having a hard time drifting there due both to the sharp little pokes, prods, kicks and nudges from the little one inside of me.  And in those moments, I was so thankful.  ...So thankful that the Creator of the Universe was hard at work inside of me, knitting together yet another precious life.  We plan for this to be our last pregnancy, so in the midst of what has been a more difficult pregnancy for me, I am trying to treasure the experience of life inside one last time.  Nothing compares.

This morning as Jason got ready for work, he helped me get out of bed to go to the bathroom, then helped me back and tucked me into our big down comforter, kissed me, then left for work. How blessed I am to be so tenderly cared for.  Later in the afternoon, we exchanged e-mails about how to approach what is normally our sacred Friday family night.  We ended up deciding to part ways for the evening, but both of us would rather have been together.  For this sweet romance, I am so thankful.

Earlier today, I picked up Caleb from Kindergarten.  There he sat next to his teacher on the curb waiting for me to come get him.  As he saw me, his eyes lit up and he seemed to forget his newly found status as a big Kinder-gardener   "Mama!" he happily cried out and came to give me a big squeeze. And my heart was thankful.

Today, I spoke with my both of my parents on the phone at one point or another.....parents who are always encouraging me, always praying for me, always helping me to live out my faith despite my struggles.  For them and the great spiritual legacy they are leaving to me, I am so very thankful.

After naptime today, Emet came downstairs and straight to the couch where I sat.  All he cared to do was snuggle next to his Mama and be held close. What a privilege to be the one he wants to hold him close.

Tonight, Jason and the boys are having a boys night at the Columbia River High School football game.  Anna Ruth and I stayed home to have a relaxing girls night.  It's been a while since I've had just her, and the only noise in the house was her little sing-song voice, babbling and singing happily away.  I couldn't understand much of what she said at all, but she seemed to be perfectly content and delighted.  We shared hot cocoa on the couch and read stories then headed upstairs for the bedtime routine she and Papa normally share.  More books were read, songs were sung in the rocking chair under the stars of her nightlight, and I held her and prayed with tears streaming down my cheeks. I asked her for a hug, and she put her arms around me and held on tight.  We rocked back and forth.....back and forth.....and she never let go.  I was so thankful to have that moment all to myself, just my little girl and I.

How is it that I am so blessed? More so, how is it that I so often fret and worry over every day life basics - houses, cars, finances, etc, when I hold a bounty of treasure in my very arms....in my heart.

If I woke tomorrow, and all I had was the things I stopped to be thankful for today...I would be ok.  I would be more than ok.  I would be rich. I am rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment