Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Mighty Little Dump Trucks Roll On


Sometimes it seems a smell or sound can evoke a memory from times past.  In an instant, you are transported back in time to the past.  I heard a familiar sound this morning, one that I hadn't heard for a year or so, and instantly my heart felt happy.  I grabbed my camera and ran outside to see what I already knew.....my two little boys racing their yellow dump trucks up and down the gravel driveway.  I used to hear this every day, often for hours at a time....especially during the summer.  However, as the boys began riding bikes and playing swords....the little yellow dump trucks spent more and more time parked under the giant holly bush...untouched.

You can imagine the joy of that moment!....a chance to revisit the past, even if only for a few minutes.  No, in the big scheme of things, it hasn't been that long since the dump trucks were their favorite toys....perhaps a couple of years.  However, being a Mama has taught me just how very brief and precious each and every stage of childhood is.  These stages move from one to the next, bit by bit, until they are a thing of the past.  Sometimes the days seem endless and the hours drag on. Yet, in what also seems to be a moment - the years fly bye.

I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to see this again.  If I do, I can say for certain the times of the grinding of the plastic tires on gravel for hours on end has passed.  Nonetheless, this morning was a gift, like the brief visit of a beautiful butterfly in your garden....there one minute, gone the next....but a moment that leaves a lasting impression in your mind's eye.

Roll on, little dump trucks.  Roll on.  You'll always be a favored friend in this Mama's heart.


Here's the beginning of their story:

Season of Two Little Yellow Dump Trucks
Ode to Two Mighty Little Yellow Dumptrucks


No comments:

Post a Comment